District 10: Halifax-Bedford Basin West, Fairview, Clayton Park, Rockingham
Kathryn Morse for a more liveable, affordable and sustainable HRM
I know Fairview, Clayton Park and Rockingham, having grown up in District 10 and lived here for thirty-five years. I have a degree in environmental planning, a strong foundation for the many planning-related issues at city council. As a former reporter with CBC Halifax for 12 years, I know the community and will keep you informed. I have experience in government, having worked for the Nova Scotia Ministers of Health and Finance.
More recently, I have worked in conservation, on the team that helped establish the new 379-acre Shaw Wilderness Park in HRM.
I value diverse and inclusive neighbourhoods, a healthy environment, and a thriving local economy. District 10 is one of the fastest growing areas of the city. This growth has brought benefits and improvements, but also some disadvantages such as:
- rents and house prices are increasing, and for some, housing is becoming unaffordable
- traffic congestion is a daily frustration for many commuters, and in some areas, a safety issue
- neighbourhoods are getting denser without enough access to greenspace
Along with these challenges, Covid-19 has created additional challenges. It’s time to rethink, adapt, and build back better.
Working for you
As your councillor-elect I will work for a more liveable, affordable, and sustainable HRM. For District 10 that means I will support initiatives that promote:
- More affordable housing options
- Safer, more pedestrian-friendly and bike-friendly streets
- More green space—for physical and mental health
- More collaboration with community partners and stakeholders
- More efficient public transit with increased ridership
- Improvements to the Bedford Highway and Dutch Village Road
- Improvements to facilities that connect our communities, such as Centennial Arena and Keshen Goodman Library
- More protection for our lakes, forests and natural assets, such as nearby Blue Mountain Birch Cove Lakes Wilderness Area
- Better adaptation for climate change, through the HalifACT plan